Scotts of Thrapston is often asked about planning requirements for installing summerhouses and garden buildings.
Summerhouse Planning Guidelines
Generally, in most areas, planning permission is not required for any garden buildings with a use incidental to the enjoyment of the house provided that:
- The summerhouse is positioned more than 2 metres away from the boundary.
- The total area of the summerhouse or building does not cover more than half of the total area of the garden (excluding the area of the original house).
- The height of the building does not exceed 4 metres with a pitched roof or 3 metres for a flat roof or in any other case.
- No part of the building projects beyond any wall of the house which fronts onto a road or footpath.
The building is situated 5 metres away from the house. Or if any part of the building is within 5 metres of the house, it should not have a cubic content (length x width x height external measurements) greater than 10 cubic metres
- It contains no sleeping accommodation and the total floor area does not exceed 15 square metres
- There is not a planning condition attached to the original planning consent for the property stating that no sheds or other structures can be erected without the prior approval of the local planning authority
- The property is not in a conservation area, area of outstanding natural beauty or similar
- The property is not a listed building
If the summerhouse is to be positioned less than 2 metres away from a boundary then no part of the building can exceed 2.5 metres in height.
Although we cannot definitively express whether planning will be required for each individual case, Scotts has provided the guideline list above to assist customers. These guidelines are only intended to give an overview of the regulations but may be subject to changes in legislation.
If, however, you have any doubts it is always advisable to phone your local planning authority for specific advice concerning your property, as it is your responsibility to gain necessary planning permission before installing any external garden building.
Request a brochure
Please fill out the form below and we will send you either a digital or printed copy of our latest brochures.
We’d love to see you soon!
There is nothing like seeing our stunning timber buildings in person. Get up close and personal and experience the craftsmanship and attention first hand by booking your very own exclusive VIP private viewing.
Please select your product preference below, fill out your details and a member of our sales team will be in touch very soon to schedule a date with you.
Let us call you back!
Many of our customers prefer to receive a call back at their convenience. Please select your preferred day / time and product preference below, fill out your details and a member of our sales team will be in touch very soon.
Kickstart your Stabling project
Scotts offers a bespoke service for equestrian customers and representatives are available to discuss your stabling requirements in full. Assistance can be offered with respect to planning permission and design ideas for any size stable job. If, however, you just want to get an idea of what Scotts can offer, and you can complete your requirements below, a guideline quotation will be prepared for you.
Do you have some questions, or would you just prefer to speak someone in person? Please select your product preference below, fill out your details and a member of our sales team will be in touch very soon.